In preparation for class on Wednesday, watch this video below by John Green. You can turn on the subtitles to catch everything he says - he speaks very quickly!
Be able to discuss the following questions:
* Who is John Green? What country does he represent in his vlog? Why should we trust him?
* What is the political situation in Syria? What caused it?
* How many refugees are there (compare with the total number of Syrians)?
* Which countries are hosting the largest number of refugees?
* What is the distinction between "migrants" and "refugees"?
* What are the rights of refugees (and what gives them these rights?)?
* Syrians account for about half the asylum seekers. Where does the other half come from?
* According to Green, who is to blame for the refugee crisis? Make a list.
* Do refugees and immigrants commit more crimes than Americans? Do you think they commit more crimes than Europeans?
* What is Green's response to "It's not our problem" "We have to take care of our own people"? Do you agree or disagree with Green's argument?
* Do you agree that 'regional crises have no global importance'?
* What does Green mean when he says "The hardest work is not in making the promise, but keeping it"? What promise is he talking about?
* What is the 'only' solution, according to one 13 year old Syrian refugee?
VOCABULARY (feel free to add to the list!)
1) Be able to give a presentation on the text you read on Dubai or Japan. Use the structure on page 59 to help you organize your presentati...
We will do two English assessments: one on the computer and one written (schriftlich). For the computer part you will need headphones (Kop...
For Friday, November 28, write a follow up letter of enquiry TO TURN IN. A) Look at the correspondence between FreiLuft Austria GmbH and A...