In preparation for class on Wednesday, watch this video below by John Green. You can turn on the subtitles to catch everything he says - he speaks very quickly!
Be able to discuss the following questions:
* Who is John Green? What country does he represent in his vlog? Why should we trust him?
* What is the political situation in Syria? What caused it?
* How many refugees are there (compare with the total number of Syrians)?
* Which countries are hosting the largest number of refugees?
* What is the distinction between "migrants" and "refugees"?
* What are the rights of refugees (and what gives them these rights?)?
* Syrians account for about half the asylum seekers. Where does the other half come from?
* According to Green, who is to blame for the refugee crisis? Make a list.
* Do refugees and immigrants commit more crimes than Americans? Do you think they commit more crimes than Europeans?
* What is Green's response to "It's not our problem" "We have to take care of our own people"? Do you agree or disagree with Green's argument?
* Do you agree that 'regional crises have no global importance'?
* What does Green mean when he says "The hardest work is not in making the promise, but keeping it"? What promise is he talking about?
* What is the 'only' solution, according to one 13 year old Syrian refugee?
VOCABULARY (feel free to add to the list!)
This list of questions supplements the handout in class (with questions about 5. food/nutrition, 15. plastic waste/recycling, 1. smoking/dru...
We will do two English assessments: one on the computer and one written (schriftlich). For the computer part you will need headphones (Kop...
For Friday, November 28, write a follow up letter of enquiry TO TURN IN. A) Look at the correspondence between FreiLuft Austria GmbH and A...