The Twelve Days of Christmas are celebrated in the UK and the Commonwealth. The 'twelve days' are the days between Christmas Day (December 25) and Epiphany (heilige Dreikönige).
Small gifts may be given each day during the twelve days of Christmas. This tradition is celebrated in the song, The Twelve Days of Christmas, which is a very popular Christmas carol in the English speaking world.
The presents in order are:
1st day - a partridge (Rebhuhn) in a pear tree
2nd day - two turtle doves (Turteltauben)
3rd day - three French hens
4th day - four calling birds
5th day - five golden rings
6th day - six geese (Gänse) a-laying
7th day - seven swans (Schwäne) a-swimming
8th day - maids a-milking
9th day - nine ladies dancing
10th day - ten lords a-leaping
11th day - eleven pipers piping
12th day - twelve drummers drumming
These companies are leaders in the field of technology
and manufacturing. In your Referat your should talk about the
company, its mission, its relationship to the environment and
discuss in detail AT LEAST ONE product that the company produces (include
manufacturing, materials, specifics, reputation, etc.)
January 29 - Mario
February 5 - Thomas S., Thomas K.
February 12 - Mathias, Hannes
March 5 - Roland, Johannes
March 12 - Dominik D, Hasan
April 16 - Lukas, Marvin
April 23 - Lisa, Dominik J.
April 30 - Christoph, Niko
Marvin B. - General Motors
Christoph B. - Smith and Wesson
Dominik D - Aston Martin
Lukas D - Cessna
Johannes F. - John Deere
Matthias F. - Harley Davidson
Hannes G. - Liebherr
Dominik J. -
Niko K. - Cern?
Mario K. - Boeing
Thomas K - EOS
Roland L. - ThyssenKrupp
Lisa S. - Caterpillar
Thomas S. - Garrett Turbochargers
Hasan S. - Ford
CHAPTERS IN FOCUS ON MODERN TECHNOLOGY 1
0 - getting started, talking about yourself, school, English, jobs
Do you remember? - verb "to be", "to have", question word order, personal pronouns, possessive pronouns
1 - Houses and Homes; talking about your house, your room, Nick Cooper, home appliances, tools
2 - Shopping: Shopping language, Adam steals a mobile phone, video surveillance,
verb "to be", "to have"
WORD ORDER (all tenses)
1) Do exercises a, b, and c on page 30 of your textbook, Just Go For It HAS 1. Do exercise c for your day on Tuesday.
2) Do exercise e on page 31.
3) You will speak for 1 minute about your weekend in the past tense. Make sure you have a good story to tell!
We will practice verb forms in the first half of class. After the break we will take the grammar revision. You can practice with these Grammar Snack videos (there are exercises at the bottom of each Grammar Snack page!):
Present simple + I have football practice on Mondays. - She doesn't have football practice ? When do you have football practice?
Setting up a business and drawing up a business
THE SET UP: You and your partner want to set up a little business in high
end home fragrances. Your products are fragrance candles and fragrance
THE TASK: Draw up a business plan for your home fragrance idea.
If you have your own
convincing business idea for which you would like to draw up a business plan,
feel free to do so instead of using the business idea "Home
Fragrances" (do a product, NOT a full business).
For defining the
structure of your business plan you might find
the file “MULÖbusinessplan” at L:/Fuchs/the apprentice helpful. Furthermore you
can access the file “MuULÖbusinessplan” via the blog of Prof. Sandrock.
out a business plan in pairs and submit it by January 7, 2015.
Be aware that the
business plan will be graded. Copying from classmates does not pay!
Submit your own individual business idea!
watch Episode 3 of "The Apprentice" UK 2014, Series 10
1) Download Englische Zeiten from Lehrer Schüler TAUSCH (2CHMBF - Sandrock - Englische Zeiten) If I forget to make a link to your class, you can find the same document under 1CHMBF). Start doing the exercises.
2) Read the Steadicam article on pages 111-112 of the handout (Movies and Films). Be able to describe how a steadicam works in your own words, speaking freely.
The tasks will be:
2 Texts (approximately 350 words total)
The exam will cover Chapters 1, 2, and 3 of your textbook, Focus on Modern Technology 4/5.
The written tasks we have this semester are: press release (one announcing a product, one announcing a sponsorship), blog comment (response to Coke's sponsorship of the American Academy of Physicians), blog entry (Black Friday, formal letter/e-mail (letter of enquiry), advertising analysis (the tasks in bold are Matura tasks).
We've done a lot this semester! You have learned about marketing (including product development, research and development, production, sponsorship, media/press releases), advertising (including analysing commercials and advertisements using the AIDA concept, logos and branding, how advertisements are designed), how to give your opinion about a blog entry or article (blog comment), how to ask for general and specific information (enquiry), how to write a public article for a specific internet audience and ask readers to comment (blog entry). Did I forget anything?!
Q: How do you get to Carnegie Hall?
A: Practice, man, practice! - George Carlin
For Tuesday, December 9, do some PRACTICE for the Schularbeit. All exercises are from your Focus on Modern Business 4/5 textbook).
- Chapter 2 - pp. 23-24 (Reading: complete the sentence with a maximum of 4 words)
- Chapter 2 - pp. 25-26 (Reading: True/False justification)
- Chapter 3 - pp. 36-37 (Reading: match the correct heading to the paragraph)
- Chapter 3 - pp. 37-38 (Listening: True/False)
The first three exercises are Matura tasks.
In class, we will do one last listening exercise. Then we can go over any of the practice answers you are unsure about.
I checked the key for the reading we did in class Tuesday. For the questions 7 and 8:
7 - A is the correct answer. Justification: 'they're less good at anticipating problems' B is incorrect, because the writer does not link speed and confidence.
8 - A is the correct answer. Justification 'it's also a big thing on my CV'. B is incorrect, because as y'all pointed out, we only know how the writer feels, not what her superiors think.
I will review the papers you handed in on Tuesday before I submit midterm grades. Thanks for handing everything in on time!
1) Rewrite your Lego Shopping text. Make sure you follow these guidelines:
* write the text in the past simple tense
* use organizational words and phrases (first, next, after that, then, finally)
* At least one sentence should use past progressive: While the man was giving a speech, a streaker ran across the stage.
2) On December 15, we will have a grammar revision which will include present simple, present progressive (these were on the last grammar revision), past simple and past progressive. You will have to know how to form positive statements, negative statements, and questions, and when to use each tense.
You can practice by downloading Englische Zeiten from Lehrer für Schüler Tausch -> 1CHMBF -> Sandrock -> Englische Zeiten