Tuesday, January 7, 2020

New Year's Resolutions


NEW YEAR’S RESOLUTIONS -

Nota bene:  The word “solution” is in the word “resolution”.  The prefix “re-” means “again.”
So a resolution is a new solution to an old problem!

SAMPLE SENTENCES (Be sure to come up with your own!)

CONSTRUCTIONS WITH INFINITIVES
TIME
SUBJECT + VERB
INFINITIVE
QUALIFIER/ADVERB
PREPOSITION
ADJECTIVE
NOUN
In 2020...
I resolve ...
to smoke
to eat
to drink
less.
---
---
---
This year...
I will try ...
to exercise
to be
to be
more.
less
more
---

---
critical.
understanding.
----

I will try not...
to smoke
to eat
to drink
so much



so many
---


---
---


---
tobacco.
marijuana.
junk food.
vodka/Red Bull.
cigarillos.
Doritos.
shots of Jäger.

I resolve not ...
to fight
so much

with
my

parents
brother/sister
classmates
etc
CONSTRUCTIONS WITH FUTURE TENSE
TIME
SUBJECT +FUTURE
QUALIFIER/
ADVERB
VERB
ADJECTIVE
NOUN
PREPOSITIONAL PHRASE

I will...
successfully
---
carefully
drastically
quickly
pass
gain
lose
reduce
increase

my
---
---
my
my
English class.
self-confidence.
five pounds.
dependence            
knowledge



on the internet.
of English.

I will
not
no longer
pick
ski
curse
my
---
---
nose
---
---
in public.
off piste.
while playing video games.

Each student should write AT LEAST THREE original New Year’s Resolutions –including how you're going to reinforce/improve your English fluency.  Write them decoratively on a piece of paper.  You may illustrate your resolutions with drawings.

If you don't feel like getting personal, write a text making AT LEAST THREE predictions for 2020.   What will happen in technology, world events, the environment, politics?

Turn your resolutions/predictions in at the end of the hour.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please be respectful with your contribution. And if you wouldn't want your grandmother to read it, think twice about posting your comment here!

All Speaking is Storytelling

  Tell a story about your Project week.  Talk for at least two minutes.  Don’t go over three.  Add your own details. Do not simply repeat w...